Did you know the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar per day, and the average child 32 teaspoons of sugar per day? (Seriously!)
That’s over 130 lbs of sugar consumed in a single year, per kid!
Now, no parent is going to tell their kid they aren’t allowed to have cookies (ever!) That wouldn’t work. Instead, we set to work and developed a choc chip cookie recipe with more wholesome ingredients and even some nutritional value. These tasty little buggers contain:
- 72 teaspoons less sugar than the average cookie recipe.
- Heart-healthy and fibrous ground flax.
- Coconut oil, which is beneficial for weight loss and immune strength.
Here’s what you do for this ‘healthier’ chocolate chip cookie recipe:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, flax meal and flour together with baking soda. Set aside.
- Blend coconut oil with the Truvia™ and brown sugar. (Feel free to use no sugar at all, if you’re feeling adventurously healthy.)
- Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to creamy coconut oil/sugar/egg mixture.
- Add organic chocolate chips, walnuts or pecans as desired.
- Place dough in 1-inch mounds on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-11 mins, watching closely.
These tend to be a little more muffin-like than regular cookies, but they’ll satisfy any sweet tooth. Enjoy!
Note: These chocolate chip cookies are a healthy recipe alternative to one of my favourite treats. They contain MUCH less sugar and way more fiber than traditional chocolate chip cookies—and they even have a little protein, too!
At FHF, we believe keeping it fresh includes enjoying life and treating yourself here and there. If you eat nutritiously and moderately, you will avoid crazy weight gain and a “yo-yo” body.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cook Time: 7-11 Min (Depending on Softness)
Servings: 12-18 Cookies
¼ Cup chocolate chips
½ Cup organic almond flour
½ Cup organic flax meal
1 ¼ Cup organic whole-wheat flour
½ Cup brown sugar
½ Cup Truvia™ (crystallized stevia)
2 Tsp baking soda
2 Tsp vanilla
1 Cup coconut oil
2 Organic eggs