Summer is fast approaching, and fudgsicles have always been a favourite summer time treat of mine.
When I became more health conscious, I decided to switch to the sugar free fudgsicles. Some diet programs actually promote these sugar free as a “healthier” alternative to good ol’ fashioned chocolate ice cream on a stick. Sure, they have no sugar and they are lower in calories. But is this worth it when the sugar substitute (aspartame) can potentially give you brain damage, epilepsy and hormone problems?
I think not.
I encourage you to do your own research on all sugar substitutes, including Splenda, Xylitol, sugar alcohols, etc. Some are safe and natural while others can do more damage than good. (Some of these products act as extreme laxatives, so be careful there too!)
I am personally a fan of stevia. This is a plant-derived and fully natural sweetener with zero calories. I use clear stevia drops (SweetLeaf and NuNaturals are good brands) to make lemonade, baked goods, salad dressings, etc.
Recently I made my own sugar free fudgsicles with stevia, and they were delicious. This treat is super low in calories with absolutely no aspartame and no dairy either!
Sugar Free Fudgsicles are So Easy to Make:
1. Start with your choice of unsweetened chocolate almond milk. There are several brands out there, many of which are organic. (If you are allergic to nuts, you can also use rice or organic soy milk. Just make sure it’s not sweetened.)
2. Add stevia, one drop at a time, to taste. Stevia is VERY sweet and you probably won’t need more than 6-10 drops, depending on how many fudgsicles you’re making.
3. If you want to make your fudgsicle a little richer and creamier, blend in a small chunk of avocado. (This is a great way to hide some veggies in a treat!) If you don’t want to use avocado, I have used banana, Greek yogurt or a little protein powder as thickeners.
4. To enhance the chocolatey richness, add a little unsweeted cocoa powder (2 teaspoons or so). This will take up the chocolate flavor a few notches.
4. Fill your popsicle tray with your stevia-sweetened milk. Let ’em freeze, and enjoy!
Try these other fun, easy and healthy popsicles:
- Plain vanilla almond milk with stevia
- Vanilla with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and stevia (for a snickerdoodle-sicle)
- Tazo Passion Tea pops, with or without stevia (so refreshing, zero calories!)
- Lemonade pops (with lemon juice, stevia and water)
- Banana with coconut milk and stevia
- Greek yogurt blended with frozen raspberries and stevia
Sugar Free Fudgsicles
Chocolate almond milk (unsweetened)
Clear stevia drops
Unsweetened cocoa powder
(Plus a popsicle tray and a freezer!)